Tuesday 8 February 2011

Binding a book is stressful.

I have only been to two book binding workshops before and today I went to the print room to bind it by myself. My book has a soft cover and I had never done a book like this before. I also printed the front cover.
Key things I learnt from the binding process:
  • I didn't want page numbers on my book because I had numbered the tips and i thought there were too many numbers on one page and it was confusing for the eye. BUT page numbers make it much easier to work out the order when sewing. I made a big mistake which I luckily noticed just before it was too late- i sewed and glued a signature in the wrong place and i had to start the sewing again.
  • If possible, keep a spare piece of paper around the edge of it to try and keep the pages clean.
  • Its really important to get the spine width right once printed. My book was a lot smaller than the paper i had printed onto (allows a neater trim to right size) and it took a tedious amount of time to work out the correct measurements for everything- it all has to be very precise. The best thing is to stitch and glue the book , measure how big the spine has to be and then adjust the cover and print while the glue is drying.
printing and mounting the cover:
  • I could print on brown paper but i had to manually feed it
  • One of the tech. guys in the Vernon Street mac suites showed me how to create a cover on Photoshop- i had created mine in InDesign, but Photoshop is best

No comments:

Post a Comment